[GNC] GnuCash 5.5 crash when entering Scheduled Transaction variable

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 22:08:16 EST 2023

I just opened bug # 799173 because GnuCash 5.5 is crashing.

I have an old old data file, lots of scheduled transactions, lots of
transactions. On upgrade to 5.5 today I was admiring the refinements to
Since Last Run, and noted in amongst all the scheduled transactions with
the "Reminder" status, there were two "to Create" and both of them were
prompting for a value. (I don't use variables in all my Scheduled
transactions, but I have a few.)

I keyed in a value into the field, and it seemed like I clicked somewhere,
though I may have pressed the Return key, and the application disappeared.
(Why doesn't Ubuntu put up a crash dialog anymore?)

I made a backup of the data file (though I do have some recent backups if
it's trashed).

I added a --logto=/path/to/logfile into the launcher lines

I created a test file with a scheduled transaction containing a variable,
and it did NOT crash, though it complains about an error parsing a value.

Let me know what more information you need, though obviously I'm probably
going to need to downgrade to 5.4 for my main data file.