[GNC] GnuCash getting worse?

Ken Pyzik pyz01 at outlook.com
Thu Dec 28 01:46:23 EST 2023

Well, I will add my 2 cents worth (for that is probably all it is really worth anyway).  With no disrespect to R Losey (I can appreciate what you are saying).... I will say this:

I have been using the product since at least version 2.3.  I have had few, if any, complaints with the software.  It does what I need it to do.  I was just so glad that when Quicken went to their subscription model, that there was a product that could do what GnuCash does.  And as a bonus, the software happen to be free!

My view is this:  We are very fortunate that this free app is supported and even has continued improvements and upgrades.   I have seen some free license software that are years old -- and have never been upgraded/improved and have no support.   Since the software is free -- it is there for you to take and use -- as is -- with no implied warranties, guarantees, or assurances that it will be improved, upgraded, or even supported.  Those are the terms  - take it or leave it.

Now, if someone does not like those terms -- they can always get a commercial package or subscription and pay ongoing fees to have it improved, upgraded and supported.   (To that end, even when I did have Quicken - and paid for yearly upgrades -- the software still had bugs and people still complained about it -- even with paid support and upgrades!)

I am a happy GnuCash user -- and I wish the project nothing but continued success in the future.  And even if all the developers hit the lottery tomorrow and left the project forever and never touched the code ever again -- I would still be very grateful that it exists and does what it does.  Thank you!

Ken