[GNC] GnuCash getting worse?

G R Hewitt hewittgr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 03:56:48 EST 2023

My two pennyworth is similar. I moved over to Macs from Windows and was
looking for an accounting program. Many were all whizz-bang dial and graphs
and bright primary colours and all sorts of clutter that I found confusing
and unnecessary, when all I wanted was a simple transaction register that
could be edited and entered inline, without additional 'entry' windows
popping up all over the place. I tried lots and settled on the sea of calm
that is Gnucash, which does exactly what I want. Sure, it has it's quirks -
don't we all, and that is what makes us us and Gnucash Gnucash.

Gnucash is maintained and supported for free to the user by people who have
other things to do, and to whom we owe thanks and gratitude for their
unpaid efforts. We don't have to use it, one can always 'jump ship' to some
other package that will have its own set of problems to be encountered. I
imagine that most of GnuCash's changes are requests for features, bug fixes
or forced changes by outside entities such as banks changing their
protocols.

There is no perfect software, no software that will suit all and sundry and
their offspring. Even pen and ink has its problems, pens running out or
just stopping, paper getting snagged, tearing or bleeding the ink through
or plain old knocking the ink bottle all over it.

As the French say '*C'est la vie*', or as the English say 'Tough Titty,
that's the way it is'