[GNC] GnuCash getting worse?

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 13:29:31 EST 2023

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 11:37 AM Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) <
stan+gc at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 2023-12-28 09:05, R Losey wrote:
> > As a former software engineer, I've thought about volunteering, but it
> > seems so massive an undertaking that it daunts me. I suppose I could
> create
> > a VM (if my machine is powerful enough to handle a VM) and do some beta
> > testing.
>
> VirtualBox should work in any modern Windows computer, and setup is very
> easy if you don't want to do fancy stuff. That's what I used to do my
> testing in the three-step upgrade from 2.6.19.
>
> I too am a former software engineer, and I too am daunted by the
> prospect of testing. But for me it's that I wouldn't know where to
> begin. If the programmers could give some guidance -- "test this version
> that fixes bugs X and Y", I could do that, and in the course of
> exercising the test version for the stuff I normally do in GC I could
> report any new bugs I noticed.
>
> Stan Brown
> Tehachapi, CA, USA
> https://BrownMath.com

I used to run VirtualBox on my iMac (and ran Windows 7). I was just
concerned about the running VirtualBox on Windows 10 and emulating Windows
10... I'm not sure I have another copy of Windows 10 to run, nor am I sure
that I have enough memory (computer RAM or graphics card RAM) to properly
support a Win10 VM.

As for testing, there are two kinds: You can test the actual bugs fixed by
getting on the GNUcash bug reporting system and looking at recent changes.
However, I gathered from a previous post that even more needful of that is
to have regression testing done -- making sure that a new "fix" hasn't
broken any existing features... this is where a lot of regular users could
be handy... just create a "safe" environment (such as the aforementioned
VM) with a copy of one's GNUcash file, and then just do the things you
normally do to ensure that they still work correctly. I get the idea that
this could be immensely helpful, as everyone has certain areas that they
use frequently.
--
Richard Losey
rlosey at gmail.com