[GNC] GnuCash getting worse?

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 01:25:43 EST 2023

On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 12:07 AM Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) <
stan+gc at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 2023-12-28 17:26, Geoff wrote:
> > If you are already running Windows 10/11 with an existing Pro,
> > Enterprise, or Education licence (but not a Home licence) then Windows
> > Sandbox is an easy way to create a (temporary) Virtual Machine, and it
> > only requires 4GB RAM and 1GB free disc space.  You don't need a
> > separate licence.
> >

> https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/application-security/application-isolation/windows-sandbox/windows-sandbox-overview
> >

> https://www.howtogeek.com/399290/how-to-use-windows-10s-new-sandbox-to-safely-test-apps/
> >

> https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/how-to-use-windows-sandbox-on-windows-11
> >
> > Fire up a Sandbox, download and install the latest GnuCash binary, and
> > away you go in a pristine Windows environment that is safely isolated
> > from the rest of your computer.
>
> I forgot about Windows Sandbox. Thanks for the reminder. My desktop has
> Windows Pro, nut my laptop has Windows Home so Windows Sandbox is a
> non-starter there.
>
> > Otherwise, as Stan mentioned, Oracle's free VirtualBox runs on Windows,
> > but you will need to install a version of Windows in the Virtual Machine
> > that you create.
> > https://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> And you can run Windows 10 or 11 without a license. A very few things
> won't work, like custom background for desktop, but you won't be missing
> anything you need. It looks like it doesn't need a lot of resources, so
> that sounds good.
>

> Reference: You Don’t Need a Product Key to Install and Use Windows 10
> <
> https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/
> >

> You Can Install and Use Windows 11 Without a Product Key
> <
> https://www.howtogeek.com/871189/you-can-install-and-use-windows-11-without-a-product-key/
> >

> I successfully installed and ran Windows 10 in a VirtualBox without a
> Windows product key, during my three-step upgrade from 2.6.19, using the
> Windows 10 reference above. I haven't tested the Windows 11 procedure,
> but it's from the same source, one that is usually reliable.
>
> Stan Brown
> Tehachapi, CA, USA
> https://BrownMath.com

I'm pretty sure I'm running Win10 Pro; I had also forgotten about
Sandbox... that would be a great way to test out new releases. I appreciate
the information, and I can check it out. Hopefully, there is a way to
transfer files between the host and client that is relatively painless.

--
Richard Losey
rlosey at gmail.com
Micah 6:8