[GNC] Import Matcher Comments and Questions

Dale Alspach alspachde at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 13:17:24 EST 2023

Recently there was some restructuring of some of my retirement accounts
(still under control of my former employer). This caused problems with
importing because the parent accounts of the securities were altered.
This led to a lot of questions from the importer. This entailed a tedious
process of selecting the correct "new" account. One particular difficulty
is that the same security may be used in more than one branch of the
account tree. Fortunately the importer actually supplies some detailed
information which greatly helps identify the correct branch.

1. I discovered that the importer does not require uniqueness. That is,
multiple accounts in the import file can be mapped to the same gnucash
account. My accounting is strictly personal so the restructuring just meant
creating an appropriate branch for each investment and reparenting the
account. The nonuniqueness allowed me to point transactions corresponding
to the old and new versions of the investment to the new one. *Thus for me
the nonuniqueness is a desirable feature.*

2. The account selection process seems to make some unwarranted assumptions
that resulted in extra steps and in some cases a difficult to resolve
ambiguity.
i. After I selected one branch for a matching account, the importer kept
suggesting that same branch for all subsequent selections. This resulted in
extra steps to select the correct branch. It  would have been better for
the importer to suggest the branch of the last selection and not the very
first one.
ii. The ambiguity arose when the importer asked what income account to
associate with a security. In my setup, the assignment of any income
attributable to an investment depends on which branch of the accounts this
particular investment occurs. (taxable or not?, IRA, 403b, brokerage?) The
name/symbol of the security does not uniquely determine the branch. What I
needed was that more detailed information that appears when the account
corresponding to the investment is selected.

Before I add a formal request for enhancement, I would be interested in
knowing whether others have the same or similar concerns. I checked
bugzilla and did not find anything.
Dale