[GNC] Import Matcher Comments and Questions

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 16:26:57 EST 2023

Dale,

The assignment of an internal GnuCash account to an external account during
import has a couple of levels. If a transfer account is specified in the import
record, then the first time that account description is encountered the external
name has to be assigned to a specific internal GnuCash account.

If there is no explicit specification of an account in the import record, then a
probabalistic (Bayesian) procedure tries to assign an account on the basis of
what information is present in the import record and how well it matches
information in reords where the second account was manually assigned during the
import of previous similar records. There is also an older non-Bayesian matching
procedure (Edit->Preferences->Import->use bayesian matching) which is optionally
available but is generally less successful at providing a good match than the
Bayesian procedure.

Where an account structure is changed, the Bayesian procedure will "remember"
any assignment made prior to the restructure as the probability tables it has
accumulated and used to make the assignment will only change very slowly as
records with assignments to the new account structure are made manually during
import. If you import records without manually changing the assigned account
during the import matching process and change the account assigned after import
in the register, the probability tables do not change at all as that data is
only stored during the final stage of the import procedure.

It is possible to edit the data on which the account assignment on import is
made using Tools->Import Map Editor but this requires some considerable
understanding of the import matching process to avoid changing the wrong data.
There is not a lot of guidance about how to do this however. There have been
some historical posts in the user list which may help if you search for them

Alternatively you can remove all the data used by the matching procedure and
retrain the matcher on subsequent imports but that is a drastic solution and
will affect all accounts that are matched on import not just the ones which
changed in the restructure.

David Cousens