[GNC] Cash on Hand [was: Interest Income]

Larry Long llong47 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:08:28 EST 2023

 M/M Losey,
As you say, your actual cash funds can easily diverge from what is shown in your GNC 'Cash on Hand" account.Instead of periodically equalizing via a "Balance Adjustment" account, you might consider setting up some expense accounts that allow you to be more definitive.
For recording known spending, you could have some accounts such as these:
   - Expenses:Gifts
   - Expenses:Gifts:Christmas
   - Expenses:Dining
   - Expenses:Dining:Cash Tips
   - Expenses:Personal Care
   - Expenses:Miscellaneous
When you get a haircut for example, you could enter that as a $25 transfer from "Assets:Cash on Hand" to "Expenses:Personal Care".
If you are like me, at the end of the month you might find only $60 in your wallet, while GNC shows $100 cash.  Knowing that you did, but not remembering where you spent the difference, you could always throw $40 in GNC from "Cash on Hand" into "Miscellaneous".