[GNC] Why is balance always zero in search results?

Adam Mackler adam at mackler.email
Mon Jul 10 04:51:38 EDT 2023

Hello:

I am using GnuCash version 4.4.

When I use the "Find" option under the "Edit" menu while viewing an account register, the "Search Results" I get seem to be a filtered version of the account register that I was looking at when applying the "Find".

There are two differences between the account register and the Search Results that I don't understand:

1. In the "Search Results" there are no amounts on each transaction line in the "Tot Debit" or "Tot Credit" columns, as there are when viewing the account register.  There are amounts on the split lines, but not on the first line for each transaction.

2. The "Balance" column on each transaction line shows "0.00" for each transaction, whereas in the account register that column shows the balance of the account after each transaction.

Why is value in the "Balance" column zero on every transaction line when viewing Search Results, or put another way, what is the point of that column if it shows no useful information?  Is there a setting I can change so that the values shown in the "Balance" column are a running total of debits and credits on the account to which I applied the Edit → Find tool?

I’m guessing it has something to do with the Find tool forgetting what account I’m interested in, and so not knowing which account’s running total it should be showing.  What I’m trying to do is to limit the date range for the account register so I can generate an Account Report limited to that date range.  The problem is that an Account Report generated from the Search Results shows a running total ("Balance" column) of zero after every transaction.

Alternatively, is there a way to generate an Account Report directly from an account register but for a limited date range?

--
Adam Mackler