[GNC] How to Upgrade Old GnuCash Version to Current Version

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Thu Jun 8 20:37:14 EDT 2023

On 2023-06-08 17:20, flywire wrote:

> A lot of discussion in the mailing list about this subject but there
> doesn't seem to be anything in the docs.
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2021-January/094704.html
> suggests most of the discussion is misplaced.

I don't read the message by John Ralls at
<https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2021-January/094704.html>
as saying that most of the discussion about how to upgrade from old
GnuCash version to new is "misplaced".

In that message, John was replying to a questioner
<https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2021-January/094702.html>
who had special circumstances: a GnuCash data file created a long time
ago with an old version, made from an import of an even longer history
in Quicken, followed by not much activity in the GnuCash data file. The
specific question was whether it was worth upgrading the old GnuCash
data file, or if it was better to abandon it and start the import from
Quicken from scratch.

I note that John's reply has the caveat, "Since you didn't actually use
GnuCash much….".

Much of the discussion about upgrading data files, created with old
GnuCash versions, for use with current GnuCash versions is about data
files which had long and extensive use of GnuCash. It is plausible that
such data files should follow the careful route of upgrading via each
final release of a major version of GnuCash, as D. (sunfish62) explains
at
<https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2021-January/094705.html>.

Best regards,
     —Jim