[GNC] automatically account for gst on random purchases

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 09:34:25 EDT 2023

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2023-June/107406.html
David Cousens wrote:
> If you look at this section of the business features setting up tax
tables is described.
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/bus_setup.html It works for
invoices and should work similarly for bills. That is as automated as it
gets.

Interesting. Working down through Business setup, Account setup, Setting up
sales tax tables, Enter company information, then Setting business
preferences as discussed further in
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v5/C/gnucash-manual/set-prefs.html#prefs-biz

I note options can be set for Tax included and Invoices/Bills Process
payments/Auto pay on posting. That was suggested to me long ago never
having used Business Features in GnuCash I imagined it was a manual process.

Can I get a minimum working example to establish a set of business books as
described in the guide Account setup and Australian Tax Tables, and process
a bill for $3300 of fuel including 10% GST? It's not clear to me but I
understand the default tax table code is attached to the account code (like
Quickbooks).

With that scenario I'd expect a csv import of bank transactions to
automatically split Expenses:Fuel and Asset:GST:Purchases:Standard.

Regards