[GNC] automatically account for gst on random purchases

Kalpesh Patel kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Mon Jun 19 13:03:42 EDT 2023

Interesting enough there are (at least thirteen; 02861, 42223, 59221, 63673, 71749, 73949, 81137, 84536, 86044, 86515, 88063, 89439 & 97635; anyone has fear of triskaidekaphobia?) zip codes that are multi states in the US!

I remember when I was working for an on-line retail rental place it was fun figuring out how much tax to charge -- some items on rental are taxed while some are not and even within that some line items are taxed (postage is) and some are not (insurance is not). And to add fun to that, within zip codes we had to consult street address because it could be in one county versus another county and then each county had their own process when they updated their tax schedule. The application was wired up to consult a well-known commercial vendor's system for tax calculations but even then the company used to get regular notices from counties on deficient tax remittance.

Then there is the online purchase part where tax is based on where the item is delivered and not where it is purchased.

This is one item that is better handled distributed by reporting in rather than centralized ...