[GNC] Not getting any emails

William Prescott will at theprescotts.com
Sat Jun 24 01:26:03 EDT 2023

Since we're talking about backup strategies...

I do an hourly backup to a local disk ((Time Machine)
A backup to the cloud every 15 minutes (CrashPlan)
And a clone to one of pair local disks every few days, alternating between them (SuperDuper)

A few years ago, I had a failure of my working hard disk, followed within a week or so with a failure of the local backup and at the same time, I realized the cloud backup had not been functioning for some time. I lost no data but it confirmed my belief that you need a comprehensive backup strategy.

Will

On 23 Jun 2023, at 11:57, Michael or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:

On 6/23/2023 12:30 PM, William Prescott wrote:
> Are you asking about backing up the Gnucash application or the Gnucash data file. You definitely should back up the data file. The application is less critical because you can always reinstall it. However, I just backup everything. It is simpler and safer than picking and choosing what to backup.

I do data backups on a regular schedule. It is easier to back up ALL user data rather than the data of each application separately.

I do system backups prior to each "build" << installation of new programs or versions of programs >>  There is no need in a case like mine to do backups of software that has not changed (since last system backup). HOWEVER .... if you allow automatic or frequent "upgrades" of software (as opposed to infrequent scheduled "builds") you'd probably be better off doing a system backup by some regular schedule since for you unpredictable when software has changed.

Michael D Novack