[GNC] Temporary Website URL

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Mar 18 09:19:46 EDT 2023

At Sat, 18 Mar 2023 06:04:52 -0700 Brad Morrison <bradmorrison at sonic.net> wrote:

> Thanks for point these situations out Ken! The reason I joined the
> GnuCash-User mailing lists was because I sent a link to an acquaintance
> that does bookkeeping professionally and he texted back that the website
> was down, he then did a Google search and tried the GnuCash result on
> his own and that link didn't work either, and he then goes on to tell me
> that this is why he doesn't trust open source projects with his business
> or his clients' business. It was pretty embarrassing for me and I have
> hesitated to refer any possibly interested professionals that I meet to
> GnuCash since.
>
> I can confirm the certificate error for website #1. It looks like
> gnucash.org uses Let's Encrypt (https://letsencrypt.org/) as the
> certificate authority and the certificate was valid from December 12,
> 2022 until March 11, 2023. My understanding was that Let's Encrypt was
> free, so that might mean that it just has to be renewed/reauthorized...?

Let's Encrypt uses a program "certbot" which is supposed to automagically
renew the certificate.  It does try to verify the domain it is for by visiting
the website.  Since there was a webserver config problem (the redirect config
was broken), it is likely that the automagical renewal failed...

> I can confirm that website #2 still lists the "Apache2 Ubuntu Default
> Page" error for the non-https/secure gnucash website. I believe that
> John mentioned that Linas upgraded his server in January and that broke
> this feature and it has not been fixed since.

Yes, this webserver config error needs to be fixed.  Once it is fixed, the
Let's Encrypt certbot program will be able to renew the certificate, which
will fix the https://www.gnucash.org error.

> I also see Gnucash website #3 as working well. I can see that that
> website also uses Let's Encrypt as the certificate authority and that
> certificate is valid from March 5, 2023 until June 3, 2023.
>
> I also noticed that website #1 & #2 has 2 "Subject Alt Names"
> (gnucash.org & www.gnucash.org) on that certificate, while website #3
> has just 1 (code.gnucash.org).

Yes, this is a "normal" thing.  Almost all www.xxx.yyy hostnames refer to the
same logical host as xxx.yyy -- eg while commonly normal websites start with
www, most also work without the 'www.'.

> After briefly reading a few of the mailing list messages on US
> banks/credit unions that are not allowing their transaction to be
> downloaded/available in an open format, I have also wanted to start
> emailing various financial institutions about whether they intend to
> make such a format available. I would still need to further review the
> formatting situation described in the email chains before I start asking
> around and then opening an account at such a financial institution, but
> if the main GnuCash website still doesn't work, it is hard to write such
> emails at all.
>
> Brad
>

> On 3/17/23 11:00, Ken Pyzik wrote:
> > So checking websites statuses today:
> >
> > https://www.gnucash.org  - privacy/certificate error
> > http://www.gnucash.org  - Default appache2 page
> > https://code.gnucash.org/website  - working perfectly.
> >
> > As noted - this has been an issue since 11 February.  The https:// was working at one point a couple of weeks ago -- but now it is not.
> >
> > FYI -- Ken

Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364