[GNC] How to upgrade to 5.1 in Ubuntu

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Thu May 11 00:43:57 EDT 2023

Roland

If you want to build GnuCash it is not all that difficult once all the
dependencies have been resolved. The instructions at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building_On_Linux still seem to be pretty current.
When you run cmake it will usually identify any development header files that
have to be installed as it stops with an error each time it encounters one that
is misssing. Identifying the correct libraries and headers to load can be a
little difficult at times as the Ubuntu apt repository sometimes names them
differently from the generic library name but it is usually closely related.
Once cmake completes withiout errors it will usually build correctly.

The "apt-get build-dep gnucash" command on the wiki page no longer seems to load
the gnucash dependencies but if you install apt-rdepends ("sudo apt install apt-
rdepends"), then apt-rdepends gnucash lists the dependencies. Many will be
loaded by default on your system but this can be useful to identify the specific
library name in the ubuntu apt cache. For compilation, it is usually only
necessary to have the development headers for the libraries installed (these may
not necessarily be installed for libraries for which the runtime versions are
installed unless you regularly build software from source) although the
libraries themselves will be required at run timewhen you run GnuCash so it
usually pays to install any missing libraries as well as the development headers
for them.

David Cousens