[GNC] balance of interests between users and developers

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Sat May 20 15:27:53 EDT 2023

On 2023-05-20 12:05, Vincent Dawans wrote:
> When you compile from source on Linux in particular, as a developer this is
> super easy and allows you to install as many versions of gnucash
> concurrently as you want. However I don't think it's possible to install
> concurrent versions from official builds, even nightly builds. I think it
> would go a long way if we could have a testing version (could be a nightly
> build as well) that can be installed concurrently in a separate file
> structure, including user settings, database and everything.

With the free Oracle VirtualBox software, it's not hard to set up a
virtual machine on which to install a test version of GnuCash. This
effectively prevents different versions of GC from interfering with each
other. Windows users can have Windows or Linux in the virtual machine;
Linux users can have Linux or Windows.

While not _completely_ trivial, it's quite easy to set up Windows 10
without a license or a Microsoft account on a virtual machine. YouTube
videos guide you through the process. And of course setting up Linux
doesn't raise license issues in the first place.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com