[GNC] Credit Notes - Customer Report

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue May 23 11:09:35 EDT 2023

That StackExchange answer is correct - you offset the Invoice with the
Credit Note by linking the two documents via the Process Payment window.

If the entire Credit Note is 'used up' then it will no longer appear in
the Process Payment window. If it has an unused remainder (it was larger
than the remaining Invoice) then that remainder will still appear for
later use.

If the entire Credit Note continues to appear in the Process Payment
window, you made a mistake somewhere in applying it the first time. Note
- Step 4 from the linked answer might be misunderstood and could perhaps
be worded better.

If your case is a simple example:

Invoice $100
Credit Note $40

And you aren't applying other payments to the Invoice, just select the
two documents, make sure your date is correct and enter any notes, but
*do not* adjust the payment amount. GnuCash will 'pay' $40 down on the
Invoice using the Credit Note as the payment.

The result will be:

Invoice $60

If you also need to record a regular payment on that amount - do so as a
separate transaction via Process Payment. (It is possible to do it in
one go, but separate is easier to get them right)

The Customer Report has the option to show detailed or simple document
links which will specify which payments/credits apply to which invoices
and vice versa.

*note - I'm not sure what you are referring to here: "another entry in
the Credits column along with an entry in my assets."

Regards,
Adrien