[GNC] Revisiting Quotes

Bruce Schuck bschuck at asgard-systems.com
Mon May 29 17:31:55 EDT 2023

On Thu May 25, 2023 at 14:59:14 EDT R Losey wrote:

> From the discussion here, one would get the idea that the only two
> options for quotes are Alphavantage and Yahoo/JSON... don't the other
> options work? I seem to remember seeing a very long list of options.
Most of the other modules retrieve data for non-US based securities, or
specific funds such as TSP.pm for data from https://www.tsp.gov/.
Fool.pm is one that probably just needs someone to spend a little time
investigating why it no longer works, but it could be a viable alternative.

People either forget or don't realize that companies like AlphaVantage,
Yahoo, Alphabet (aka Google), and others pay for the stock market data
available on their websites or through APIs. Along with what is likely a
a large cost, there are license limitations on how they may make that
data available to others. This would be the reason AlphaVantage has
limits placed on access using the free API key, and probably why Yahoo
has been blocking access to long utilized URLs/APIs. I fully expect the
new URL for Yahoo in coming F::Q release 1.56 to get blocked at some
point. Maybe a few months, maybe a year, but I would bet on it.

This means modules will need to be rewritten to parse the HTML. Doable,
but not as simple as parsing JSON.

Bruce S.