[GNC] Revisiting Quotes

Tom Teixeira tjteixeira at earthlink.net
Mon May 29 23:47:53 EDT 2023

A way to bypass Finance::Quote is to create a .csv file with price
quotes and import that. It turns out that several commercial spreadsheet
packages have the ability to look up stock prices and don't seem to
charge extra or to limit query rates. I've tried this with Microsoft
Excel, Apple Numbers and Google Sheets. The .csv file needs columns for
symbol, date, namespace (as used by Gnucash's security editor) and currency.

While not as convenient as updating directly in Gnucash, with a lot of
stocks it can be faster than waiting for the throttling of Alphavantage.

Tom T.