[GNC] Best way to track expenses for trips

Kalpesh Patel kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Tue Jul 28 19:35:42 EDT 2026


So I was giving a dry run at this using Description instead of Actions but looks like if I use Find to create a results register, I cannot run a Transaction Report that shows all transaction from the resulting register. It complains with report stating: No accounts selected; This report requires accounts to be selected in the report options. I am running older v4.14 GNC so it could be the issue. Would someone that has close to modern 5 series dry run and report if it works?

Or am I totally off base in dry run and instead just use 'Filter' tab to specify 'Transaction Filter' in 'Transaction Report' and go from there? I was settling on using Actions to do such segregation but now looks like I may be out of luck using that method.


-----Original Message-----
From: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> 
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2026 12:43 PM
To: David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
Cc: adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net; gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Best way to track expenses for trips

It would, but there’s a simple workaround: Use Find to create a results register with the action(s) you want and run the transaction report on that.

Regards,
John Ralls

> On Jul 27, 2026, at 21:13, David T. via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
> 
> A quick test shows that the Action field is not used by the Transaction Report filter.
> 
> That would seem to be a regrettable oversight.
> 
> David T. 
> 
> On July 28, 2026 4:58:18 AM GMT+05:30, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>> I know you can use it, but does the Transaction Report filter work on it?
>> 
>> The tooltip text doesn't mention it:
>> 
>> "Show only transactions where description, notes, or memo matches this filter. e.g. '#gift' will find all transactions with #gift in description, notes or memo. It can be left blank, which will disable the filter."
>> 
>> 
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>> 
>> On 7/27/26 5:36 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>>> You can use the action field. It’s a combo, meaning a combination of a text entry and a list box. The list part has a collection of pre-programmed entries that you (or the program) can choose from, but you can also enter anything you like in it.
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-user mailing list
>> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>> -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.





More information about the gnucash-user mailing list