[GNC] Help-Issue Launching Gnucash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 30 22:40:01 EDT 2026


Miranda,

I take it that you’re not getting the “GnuCash quit unexpectedly” window for macOS.

Try opening a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and running
   /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Gnucash —logto=stderr

That should spit out some indication of what’s going wrong.

Regards,
John Ralls



> On Jul 30, 2026, at 13:31, Miranda <miranda at calyx.org> wrote:
> 
> I have been running Gnucash since May of this year; however, after updating my Mac at the beginning of July, the program has been crashing. When I attempt to launch Gnucash, the welcome screen closes immediately, and I am not able to use the program. I did some troubleshooting to see if there were any corrupted data files or quarantine flags that were blocked.
> 
> Some of the attempts I used to get the program to run:
> 
> • Checked for locked files and removed them if present.
> • Bypass the auto-load file.
> • Clear quarantine flags (MAC)
> • Reset user configuration
> • Removed the program from my MAC and re-installed the program (Program for Apple Silicon)
> • Add the program to Applications.
> 
> After using these few troubleshooting steps, I am not able to launch the program. Is there anything you can share with me to get the program to launch on my MAC again?
> 
> Thank you,
> Miranda Martinez (she/her)
> Senior Accounting Coordinator
> The Calyx Institute
> *Please note-My work schedule M-TH
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.



More information about the gnucash-user mailing list