[GNC] Early beta: itemized receipt-to-GnuCash expense tracker (optional one-way sync)
Suseno Dermawan
dermawas at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 11:29:02 EDT 2026
Hi all,
I've been a GnuCash user for a while, running it against a self-hosted
PostgreSQL book. One thing I've never enjoyed is entering receipt
expenses manually — especially supermarket receipts with a lot of
individual items. As a side project, I built an Android app called
Ledgerize to make that less painful, and gave it an optional feature I
think this list specifically might find useful: it can sync each
expense straight into your GnuCash books as a real, balanced
transaction, so nothing needs re-entering by hand.
A few things worth knowing up front, since this is a genuine early
beta, not a polished release:
- Android only, direct APK download — not on Google Play yet. You'll
need to allow installs from outside the Play Store.
- GnuCash sync is one-way and opt-in. It writes new expense
transactions into your GnuCash Postgres book; it never reads your
balances or existing history, never touches your schema, and never
connects to your database directly — it goes through a
narrowly-scoped function you (self-)host. Full write-up on how it
works and how to set it up is linked below.
- Receipt scanning is included as well — it extracts individual line
items from a receipt and suggests categories before saving. The
workflow is item-based rather than total-based, so a supermarket
receipt gets broken into individual items with category suggestions
instead of being recorded as one lump expense.
- I'd genuinely like your feedback, especially anything about the
GnuCash side — that integration is the part most worth
stress-testing with real GnuCash users.
This is an independent side project and is not affiliated with the
GnuCash project.
Download: https://forstradigital.com/ledgerize.html
GnuCash setup guide: https://forstradigital.com/ledgerize-gnucash-setup.html
Privacy policy: https://forstradigital.com/ledgerize-privacy.html
Feedback: https://forstradigital.com/ledgerize-feedback.html
Thanks for taking a look — happy to answer questions here or via the
feedback link above.
Suseno
More information about the gnucash-user
mailing list