Fwd: Gnucash Homepage sources for German redesign?

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Fre Mar 21 17:42:36 CST 2003

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 12:06:19AM +0100, Thomas Templin was heard to remark:

> On Friday 21 March 2003 10:53, Jaime E. Villate wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:02:04PM -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I started this thread just to figure out whether gnucash.org
> > already had some infrastructure for translation teams to work
> > together or we should create
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuchash and let Thomas maintain it
> > (that's probably not what Thomas had in mind, but that would be
> > the implication of accepting his project registration in
> > Savannah).
> I do have this in mind
> And I am doing this already with a regional focus. :)
> >
> > From Linas' reply I see that we should better ignore Thomas'
> > project registration in Savannah. If Thomas really needs some
> > CVS infrastructure or other Savannah features that he does not
> > find in gnucash.org, he should register a new project in
> > Savannah, but this time ask for a regular software documentation
> > project (non-GNU) and not a GNU project with "website" license
> > which implies working on the www.gnu.org pages directly.
> CVS is not the Problem. But under motivation aspects Savannah was
> my best quality rate for this :)

Gnucash.org can be a primary or secondary mirror for a translation.
I like to run gnucash.org independently of sourceforge, savannah,
etc. under the theory that a diversity of servers is better.
However, cme the day I die or get bored, then a new server would be
needed.

If you want gnucash.org to be the primary, you will need to tell
me what you want (besides CVS), and then give me a few days to set
it up, turn it on, etc.  If you proceed with another server, I would
want to get rsync access so that I can properly mirror/backup on
a file basis rather than a web-page basis.

> > Thomas, please do not get discouraged by my comments and do not
> > stop doing your translations. When I said "there is already a
> > German translation of the website" I was just expressing the
> > point of view of an outsider to the GNUCash project, who enters
> > the gnucash.org site and has no clue what's going on behind the
> > scenes. That remark was not meant to tell you that you are doing
> > work that has already been done. As Linas has explained they do
> > not have a German translation of the php scripts and your help
> > will be very valuable.
> Thats what Im working on, translating gnucash org and not putting
> another gnucash-de site in the web :-)

Make sure you contact the other thomas, and talk to him as well.

--linas