Compiling Gnucash 1.5.0 under Helix Gnome

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 00:32:42 +1000 (EST)

Arne Grimstrup writes:
 > On Aug 01, 2000, Robert Graham Merkel (rgmerk@mira.net) wrote:
 > > Arne Grimstrup writes:
 > >  > Has anybody on the list seen these errors when compiling Gnucash 1.5.0
 > >  > under Helix Gnome?
 > >  >
 > [original compiler errors deleted]
 > >
 > > Hmm.  The problem seems to be that the configure script can't find
 > > gnome-config.  On my Debian system (with Helix gnome), that program
 > > can be found in libgnome-dev, and presumably under RedHat the
 > > it will be in the libgnome-devel or whatever they call the development
 > > version of the gnome libraries on your system.
 >
 > Thanks for the pointer.  I've install the appropriate RPM and the
 > gnome-config errors are gone.  Now a new message appears:
 >
 > checking for xmlDefaultSAXHandlerInit in -lxml... yes
 > Unknown library `print'
 > checking for gnome_print_context_new in -lgnomeprint... no
 > checking for gtk_html_new in -lgtkhtml... no
 > configure: error: Cannot find gtkhtml.  See the README for more info.

This means you need to install gtkhtml and gnome-print (and, if
installing from packages, you need the corresponding -devel packages
to build GnuCash).  gnome-print
is available as an RPM from Helixcode, gtkhtml is also probably
available by now from them (I'm not sure, though, you may have to download the
tarball and compile it yourself).

 > I'm afraid I don't know enough about autoconf/automake to determine
 > where the problem is.

You don't need to know about autoconf and automake just to compile gnucash (though
it certainly helps if something goes wrong).  These are simple missing
libraries.

BTW, if you're just looking for something that works rather than the
very latest, you should probably use the 1.4.x series.  We use the
Linux kernel version number scheme (even is stable, odd is
development).  1.4.x requires neither gnome-print nor gtkhtml, and is
available as an RPM from us or Helixcode.

 > > However, looking at the configure.in script, it's doing something
 > > rather odd which might be a bug.  Stay tuned.

This turned out to be a bug, but it doesn't look like it's related to
your problem.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net