DB design document

Christopher Browne cbbrowne@hex.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:38:24 -0600

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:11:15 EST, the world broke into rejoicing as
David Merrill <dmerrill@lupercalia.net>  said:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 05:43:57PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> > Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer@exit109.com> writes:
> >
> > At this point, as I've said, I now tend to think that we should just
> > plan to handle encryption/authentication directly by having a
> > server-side gnucash daemon.
>
> I think so, too.

Agreed.

> > > But even if one could, in confidence, pick one dbms and adopt it
> > > without reservation, the discipline of building an API to separate
> > > it from the rest of the application generally results in a cleaner,
> > > more maintainable system.
>
> The problem is the lack of available generic database interfaces.

I'm not convinced that this is a _real_ problem.

It shouldn't be a situation of the GUI submitting database queries;
instead, the GUI should submit _transaction_ queries to the engine, and
the engine can then do what it needs.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@ntlug.org")
<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/>