A few questions about list and multichoice options

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 12:44:15 -0800

Richard -Gilligan- Uschold writes:

> I have been working on a tax related report and txf export routines.
>
> I began using the multichoice option since I only need to select one
> item at a time.  But I have over 100 items and the popup menu runs off
> the bottom of the screen and many choices are not visible.  And menus
> with more than a couple of dozen items are a bit clunky anyway.
>
> The list option only allows multiple items to be selected, but I need
> only one.  Also, the help strings do not pop up in the list box, as they
> do for the multichoice option.
>
> A drop down list box might be the best choice here, but I don't see that
> one is available to be called from scheme.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Is there a list option with single choice only?

No, but the existing list option could be modified to do that
if desired.

> 2.  Is there a list option that displays the help strings?

No, I don't know how to get the widget to do that.

> 3.  Could the multichoice option be fixed to keep all of the choices on
> the screen?

The gtk widget itself would need to be enhanced for that.

> 4.  Is there or could there be a drop down list box option?

There could be -- implementing new options types is fairly
straightfoward. I can add one if that would be useful.

> 5.  Is there a way to implement callback functions in scheme for events
> such as button clicks, list box selection changes, etc.?

Not atm. The options weren't really designed to be used at that
kind of low level. They're really intended for a 2-phase commit
dialog where you set all the options you want and hit 'Apply'.

In those dialogs, nothing is supposed to change until you finish.

dave