Making a fancy main window like our competitor :)

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:44:29 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Robert Graham Merkel said:

> Matthew Vanecek writes:
>  > Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
>
>  > A couple of questions that must be answered about something like that.
>  > Do you want it simply because Quicken has it, or because it looks cool?
>  > Those in charge would really have to look very hard at whether such a
>  > feature truly enhances productivity.  Personally, I don't mind copying
>  > the concept of something else, with my own twists added.  It does,
>  > however, need to make sense, both from a complexity standpoint, and from
>  > a useability standpoint.
>  >
>  > IOW, don't copy simply because the 'competitor' has it; rather, glean
>  > good ideas from what's available, and come up with new innovative
>  > ideas.  I think the GNUCash team is doing a good job at that.
>
> I haven't seen it myself - Bill, Rob B, and Linas have, and they think
> it's a good idea, and the idea of letting the user set up what
> financial information they'd like to see by default when they start up
> GnuCash seems like a good idea.  If they want just what they have now,
> they can.  If they want a plethora of fancy graphs and reports, they
> can have that too.  I've prototyped the idea, and I think it can be
> done with a relatively small amount of code.  As for usability, I
> think I can make it fairly easy to customize both with code and with
> the GUI.

I think the sticky-too-sweet way of explaining this is the 'My GnuCash'
idea:  every time you power it up, you see your own customized 'home
page' showing the financial stats that interest you most.

--linas