Recommend accounting book, for home and small office?

Chris Shenton chris@shenton.org
23 Aug 2001 10:53:42 -0400

David Lane <laned@merced.cc.ca.us> writes:

>     As a programmer I develop on different platforms. I am beginning to see
> that applications have to be OS independant.

Agreed.  There are a few interesting products I've seen which are
quite OS-independent; examples that pop to mind include Stalker.com's
CommunigatePro (an excellent do-it-all email solution, runs on
everything from Macs to PCs to *ix) and StarDivision's (now Sun's)
StarOffice suite.  It's intriguing that both these were written by
European companies.  I wonder if folks outside the US are less fixated
on windows-only, or the sham logic that "cross-platform" means W95,
W98, WNT, and W2K.  But I digress...

> If Gnu Cash Hops to Win32 [...] Just like MySql It might get more popular.

Agreed. At first I was peeved when Apache and PHP became available for
BillWare.  But now I believe that good tools will allow windows-bound
users to have a choice beyond the alphaware that Redmond excretes.
And these packages, like MySQL, are good, solid, powerful works -- not
toys.  So I do support GnuCash on W32, or any other platform for that
matter.

For my own use -- as a UNIX bigot -- I'm *very* glad that GnuCash
exists.  I really hated having to boot up Wintendo just to use
Quicken.  Now GnuCash is always there, and as a bonus, I can get at it
from the Xterm in the kitchen -- a convenience not available with a
windoze based application.

>     How ever I can see GNU Cash becomming a server application. In that case
> it will be cost effective to implement Gnu Cash on a linux server with Win32
> Clients, Web server, and Backend Data Querying.

Would be nice if the server could run on <your-favorite-os>, as could
all the client portions.  I'd be more comfortable running the server
on a stable *ix OS than Win*, but there maybe people out there who
prefer some other OS.  Choice is good.  And as some of the less
vitriolic voices have said: if you're going to run it, choose the OS
you're most comfortable with.

This has gotten way off topic, and I'm verging on ranting.  Still
interested in SW for small biz which runs on *ix.  Or perhaps pointers
on how I can use GnuCash better as I transition from personal to small
biz.

Thanks!