simplifying memory management in panes

Bill Gribble grib@gnumatic.com
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:02:10 -0600

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 02:38:17PM +1100, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
> However, if we are to have some reasonable hope of saving/restoring
> state (not to mention the popup menu issues) we can't just have
> arbitrary GtkWidgets put in panes, and at the moment
> gnc_report_windows allow us to do just about everything we want in a
> pane.

The save/restore problem is a real one.  While I think your solution
may be fine, keep in mind that the save/restore problem doesn't
require anything more than special treatment for report-windows at
save/restore time, i.e. it says nothing about the general relationship
between panes and report windows.

The popup menu issues I think can be managed at content-selection time
(i.e. report window creation time) in the same way they are now...
you pass in some more args to the report window.

One of my main motivations here is that there's a real problem (IMO)
with the embedded mainwindow -- my problem, not yours.  I don't know
how to make gtkhtml behave WRT resizes, and to me that's a
showstopper.  That might change, but it's a good enough reason for me
to say we should have first-class support for mainwindows in panes
from the start, just in case.

b.g.