embedded gnc_report_windows and panes

Bill Gribble grib@gnumatic.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:13:43 -0600

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 03:12:57PM +1100, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
> I should have realised this earlier, but your report window
> code shoves the options dialog in a gtk_paned container
> even when the report is itself embedded in another container
> (in the case of panes, in another gtk_paned).
>
> Do you think it might be better to have a seperate options
> dialog for this case?  Can I go ahead and make the changes
> necessary without interfering with plans for the report window
> to be used elsewhere?

I actually did this looking forward to having multiple panes.  In that
case, it's totally unacceptable to have a separate options window,
since there's no way to connect an options window with the report it's
modifying.  I mean, if you have 3 average balance reports in a paned
window for different accounts, and 3 average blanace parameter windows
open, how do you avoid mass confusion?

I'm not terribly attached to the implementation of a paned window for
options, but I can't think of an alternative that removes the
confusion (also there are some minor "features" in the current code...
for example, if you just drag it open without clicking the Parameters
button.. surprise!) but anyway I think it needs to remain in the same
"space" as the report and not be another window. Can you think of a
compromise?  I'm open to alternatives.  Maybe somehow setting it up so
that there's exactly one Parameters editor for each top-level window,
even if it containes multiple reports, so when you click "parameters"
for a report that's the only report parameters editor you see?  Not
sure how it should work.

Let me know what you think... we can talk about it at the devel
meeting.

b.g.