Sync with gnome releases

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:10:10 -0500

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:53:43AM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> I think that emails like the below offer a cautionary tale about failing
> to sync up to gnome releases.  As things currently stand, we have to deal
> with twice as many RPM's: those built with pre-gnome-1.4 libraries, and
> those built with post-gnome-1.4 libraries.  If we sync'ed up, then maybe
> we could avoid some of this .... just an idea ...

But the question is, what do we sync with?  libgal8 and libgal4 are
different major versions; as I understand it, "gnome 1.4" is libgal4,
and we won't be able to rely on anyone having libgal8 installed.

I had assumed that our goal was to have gnucash install on anybody's
system that had a gnome-1.4.  Apparently at least some distributions
aren't making sure that they have "gnome-1.4" installed because there
aren't any Gnome apps except gnucash that aren't actually part of the
distributors' Gnome package sets.  SuSE apparently thinks it's OK to
go ahead and incompatibly upgrade their Gnome-1.4 even before most
people have it installed!

According to the Ximian folks, their packages are versioned now so you
can happily have multiple versions of the libraries installed.  I
can't ever connect to their ftp servers so I don't know whether they
still have our version of libgal around.. the version I *thought* was
"gnome 1.4 libgal".

This problem's probably only going to get worse when the next snapshot
of Evolution comes out, making people upgrade to the latest and
greatest of everything.

Bill Gribble