Dependency hell redux

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:56:16 -0700

In May, I posted a message relating problems installing gnucash 1.5.x
on a stock Red Hat
http://www.gnumatic.com/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2001-May/003557.html
Bill Gribble's reply was basically "Red Hat sucks", which wasn't very helpful.
Rob Merkel's reply was "Yeah, dependencies are a pain, that's why I use Debian".
(Do I detect a bias here?  I'm starting to understand why many people
have trouble installing GnuCash...)

Conrad's reply was "GnuCash 1.5.x requires Gnome 1.4", which was very helpful.
I pointed out that nowhere on the GnuCash site was that requirement made clear.
Rob Browning replied
"But average users should be using 1.4.X, or are the requirements there
wrong too?  (If so, please let us know and we'll fix it.)"

OK, now average users should be using 1.6.x, and your requirements page
*still* doesn't mention the need for Gnome 1.4.

It would be Real Helpful if you said "GnuCash 1.6 requires Gnome 1.4".
Please make at least that change!  (Heck, this should have been
in the press release!)

For extra credit, also give full instructions for how to install the RPM
on a couple mainline distributions.  For instance:
"To install GnuCash 1.6.0 on Red Hat 7.1,
download and install Gnome 1.4 from Ximian.com,
then install these three extra RPM's: ..."

FWIW, IMHO your requirements page is too oriented towards developers, yet
misses the mark even for them, as it doesn't give the version numbers required.

- Dan