Dependency hell redux

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:19:54 -0500

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 08:56:16AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Bill Gribble's reply was basically "Red Hat sucks", which wasn't
> very helpful.

Actually, I was not replying to your message but to a followup that
called Gnucash's dependencies "assinine" and "pitiful" (or was it
"pathetic"?) .  I didn't see this as a real attempt to get help, so I
didn't make an attempt to give any.

> OK, now average users should be using 1.6.x, and your requirements page
> *still* doesn't mention the need for Gnome 1.4.

The web site is not actively maintained.  That's a problem, yes.
Gnucash is largely a volunteer project.  Are you volunteering to do
this job?

There was a fairly lengthy thread, which I think I started, whose
purpose was to generate a complete list of dependencies for
gnucash-1.6 along with instructions for installing it on common
distributions.  It was my impression that that document was fairly
fleshed out.  If the information didn't end up somewhere useful, we
should try to figure out where it is and put it somewhere people can
find it.  I should have paid more attention to where this thread ended
up, but I have had outside issues that have taken my attention away
from Gnucash development.

> It would be Real Helpful if you said "GnuCash 1.6 requires Gnome 1.4".
> Please make at least that change!  (Heck, this should have been
> in the press release!)

Do you think taking this tone will help things?  How, exactly?

Bill Gribble