splash screen

Herbert Thoma tma@iis.fhg.de
Wed, 07 Mar 2001 01:24:49 +0100

Gregory Novak wrote:

> > The splash screen currently in place is just a graphic I grabbed
> > off our webpage so I would have something to test with (I don't
> > have any gimp skills). I was thinking that we would eventually
> > find one that isn't specific to a particular locale, but making
> > specific ones for specific locales is an interesting idea.
>
> I object to this on general application-bloat grounds.  Your users will
> have 99 graphics sitting on their disk that they never see, and only one
> that they actually use.  Unless you can include all the graphics you want
> in less than, say, 50K, I think the cost outweighs the coolness.
>
> I know, disks are cheap, I should go buy a 300 gig disk for $1.37 from my
> local corner store, but if you have a laptop, for instance, it's not
> always easy to get a bigger disk.

Hi!

With i18n every translation of the online manual gets its own
set of screenshot images (so that menu item and so on are in the
right language). This is far more than the splash screens in
different languages. But I think there is an option to specify
which translations get installed.

 Herbert.
--
Herbert Thoma