Recovering old 1.3.* files

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 30 May 2001 17:18:41 -0500

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 01:58:10PM +0100, Malcolm Locke was heard to remark:
> After a recent re-install I discovered that I can no longer read my files
> from last year.  It turns out that I had been using a 1.3 version, so it
> is obviously my fault if I cannot get out of this situation.
>
> What I am wondering is if there is any way I can import the old files into
> the current stable format (I have 1.4.8 installed).

I didn't see anyone answer, so I'll give it a shot ...
First, some apologies; we try hard to keep the file formats
compatible, so I can't quite imagine what broke.

(Do you have an error message? Maybe we have a bug that needs fixing ...
I can't find/fix the bug without at least a sample file and some sample
error messages)

what version of 1.3 are you running?  You might be able to bootstrap
yourself to safety: get a slightly newer 1.3.x, load, save, and so on,
until you can finally read with 1.4  I don't know if this will work.

Sending in a sample file from 1.3 that doesn't load on 1.4 is the
best thing to do.

--linas

Linas Vepstas -- linas@gnumatic.com -- http://www.gnumatic.com/