New Gnucash Manual Module?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:43:29 -0600

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 11:02:25PM -0800, Chris Lyttle was heard to remark:
> Hi
> Now that Linas has nicely set me up with CVS access I was planning to
> upload the work I'd done so far and also Carol's text docs to the CVS.
> I was wondering the best approach for this. I wish to make at least the
> text docs available from CVS so people such as translators can begin
> working on them, as there is quite a lot of work involved. Would it be
> better to create a separate module in CVS, say called gnucash-docs, and
> have the documentation for future releases worked on there and moved
> across to the main gnucash source tree when ready for release? The
> alternative is to make a subdirectory in the docs folder of the gnucash
> source tree and use that as the development directory for the new docs.

Just put it in a subdirectory of the current tree.  Its up to you
whether you also want to back-port it to the gnucash-1.6 tree as well.

> Please let me know what you all think the best approach is here.

The one thing that I would really like to see is the makefiles set up
so that we build both postscript/pdf as well as html versions of the
sgml source.

Also, the apt/rpm spec files should be updated to make the gnucash
docs into separately installable pieces.   For the online docs, there
should be a little sgml warning: 'you need to install gnucash-docs to
get the full gnucash documentation'.

I know you won't be dealing with the rpm/deb packaging issues, but
could you keep that in mind as a desirable goal to drive towards?
So that if you get into these kinds of discussions, this is kept clear.

(The current gnucash binary rpm is 12MB.  If we add carols docs, and
and the pdf/ps versions to that, in a half-dozen languages ... ouch!)

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>