New Gnucash Manual Module?

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:43:44 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 11:02:25PM -0800, Chris Lyttle was heard to remark:
> > Hi
> Just put it in a subdirectory of the current tree.  Its up to you
> whether you also want to back-port it to the gnucash-1.6 tree as well.

Ok. I think Carol wrote the documentation specifically for the 1.6 version
and that has been my main target in my mind. I haven't actually built the
current 1.7.x series yet as I wanted to make sure what was being written
was relevant to the current release. I was deliberately leaving up in the
air the question of how this documentation would be incorporated until it
was closer to being in a useable state.

> The one thing that I would really like to see is the makefiles set up
> so that we build both postscript/pdf as well as html versions of the
> sgml source.

I believe I can handle this, I have had a little bit of experience with
setting up makefiles for docs on other projects and can request help from
other hackers on IRC to make sure it works right.

> Also, the apt/rpm spec files should be updated to make the gnucash
> docs into separately installable pieces.   For the online docs, there
> should be a little sgml warning: 'you need to install gnucash-docs to
> get the full gnucash documentation'.
>
> I know you won't be dealing with the rpm/deb packaging issues, but
> could you keep that in mind as a desirable goal to drive towards?
> So that if you get into these kinds of discussions, this is kept clear.
>
> (The current gnucash binary rpm is 12MB.  If we add carols docs, and
> and the pdf/ps versions to that, in a half-dozen languages ... ouch!)

I also put together the current rpm .spec file for dave_p. I can modify it
to separate out the docs into a different package. Debs I have no
knowledge of, but have several people I can ask that know enough to
explain what needs to be done.

Chris