Sceduled Xactions

Josh Sled jsled@asynchronous.org
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:49:17 -0700

On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 10:23:36AM -0400, Tim Wunder wrote:

| With that in mind, then, what is the current state of development of
| scheduled transactions?

The current state:

. The scheduled transaction list and editor are implemented and workforme

. The scheduled transaction "since-last-run" dialog mostly works...

  . "auto-create" transactions are created.

  . "auto-create, notify me" transactions are created, and you get notified
    in a general ledger for final editing/approval.

  . template-transaction-containing SXes are prompted for variables before
    creation. I'm not thrilled with the UI for this ATM, but it works...

  . I don't think the the recently-added "These are obsolete, delete
    them?" dlg works.

. Creating a new Scheduled Transaction from one in the register doesn't
  quite work, as of the last time I checked [a few weeks ago].

. Preferences [such as "by default, auto-create SXes" and "I want N lines
  in my template ledger"] aren't hooked up, yet.

You can look at src/doc/TODO-schedxactions for more detailed/up-to-date
info... and known bugs.

| Is it far enough along for testing by mere
| mortals?

I think so.  I think it could begin to be used... in fact, I've been
thinking about starting to myself on copies of my real datafiles...

| Would such help be useful?

Yes.  Yes.  Oh, and yes.

Did I mention yes? :)

In fact, I'm most curious about other users... there's already concerns
about the UI and the user experience, but I disagree with those people... in
any case, more/other input is needed. :)

| I have a current version of gnucash installed (1.6.3), so I believe I
| have what's needed to compile from cvs sources.

The first step is to actually compile them... including the recent
dependencies.  This has often [unfortunately] been a non-trivial step
in gnc development.  Help is available on the list, or in #gnucash on
irc.gnome.org.

...jsled