gtkhtml fonts

Larry Ewing lewing@ximian.com
31 Aug 2001 23:56:51 -0500

On Fri, 2001-08-31 at 18:23, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 07:07:47PM -0400, Bill Nottingham was heard to remark:
> > Linas Vepstas (linas@linas.org) said:
> > > On one of my machines, gtkhtml mangles the fonts.  Basically, it draws
> > > rectangles instead of letters.   Any clue of what that is about?
> >
> > a) bad gtkhtml
>
> another machine that works fine has the exact same gtkhtml installed.
> The failing machine has been failing for a long time, despite various
> upgrades to other subsystems (e.g. upgrade to latest gnome/gtk/etc)

My first guess would be that the faling machine has some a broken
fonts.dir in one of its font directories. Second would be that gtkhtml
is for some odd reason eventually matching a font without ascii
characters. But it could be one of many things, font selection is a
black art.  The font specification that gtkhtml chooses is in
~/.gnome/gtkhtml and the code that actually matches the fonts is EFont
in gal.

> > b) bad charset?
>
> this I don't understand, but using gfontsel seems to cause gtkhtml to
> use a different set of glyphs (presumably this is communicated via
> gconf or oaf or some gnome config file ????), but they are still alwasy
> rendered as squares ...

The squares typically mean that gtkhtml is trying to render glyphs that
are not actually in the font.

--Larry