ANNOUNCE: Rapid Prototyping with DWI/DUI

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 19:47:53 -0600

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 01:20:14PM -0600, Bill Gribble was heard to remark:
> On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 23:41, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > This is to announce a new tool for rapid prototyping of data-driven
> > applications:  DWI/DUI (Data With Interaction / Data Under the
> > Interface).
>
> This looks interesting.  I have developed something pretty similar, but
> it just uses Glade directly to create the application interface.  I use
> special markup in the widget name field,

I thought of using markup in the name field, but for some reason I can't
remember, didn't do that.  I think I forgot when I got  around to it.

> which ties in to application
> code you write in Scheme.

I thought that maybe I should be using scheme, but I'm still not that
good at it, and I got a boss who isn't really enamored of it, and I
gotta tie to pre-existing c-based glade code.

> I'm finding that it's a pretty great way to write applications.  We are
> using this tool to do all of the more-or-less rote code to make a GUI
> interface to a database with 50 or so user-accessible tables, and to
> build an asset tracking app for another client.

yeah, that's the idea.   dwi doesn't have that track record yet,
I've only got a handful of tables going so far.

> I just wish there was a way to slightly extend the GUI editor part of
> Glade without rewriting it altogether.

yeah, that' on my to-do list ... contact the glade folks, see what can be
done.

-----
dwi currently uses an xml file for the format; I thought of using guile,
though ...

Unfortuantely, the config file is rather verbose, and so i've started to
create a graphical tool to do this.  Naturally, its written in 'dwi'
itself, and so I hope to bootstrap the thing.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>