MySQL Support

cbbrowne@acm.org cbbrowne@acm.org
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:00:19 -0500

On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 16:34:12 +0200, the world broke into rejoicing as
Thomas Spahni <tsp@lawbiz.ch>  said:
> On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Rob Browning wrote:
>
> > > I, for one, would support work to put a good binary file format back
> > > into gnucash.
> >
> > I'd rather see that effort put into investigating the use of
> > sqlite/postgres as the only backend.  Since we can now easily run a
> > dedicated postgres in a local sandbox if we want to, that makes things
> > a lot easier.
>
> Linas, Rob
>
> I would like to see the SQL backend opened to allow a users choice for the
> database package. My personal preference is MySQL.
>
> I know that there was a discussion about using MySQL a long time ago but
> in the meantime MySQL has got transactions (for certain table types) and
> is extremely stable.

MySQL doesn't support stored procedures or triggers, which is, at
present, a "show stopper."

Furthermore, this ignores the _real_ issue, which is that of whose
responsibility it is to support your personal preference.

- If you were _paying_ Linas to provide support for MySQL, then you
  could expect it to become his responsibility;

- If you were _contributing_ MySQL support, then its integration would
  be available as part of _your_ responsibility.

Other than that, if all you offer is wishes that people would spend
valuable time writing code to conform to your personal preferences, I
see little reason for anyone to do so.

Personally, _my_ personal preferences involves the thought that spending
one second adding MySQL support would be, from _my_ perspective, time
wasted that I'd prefer spent on other things.

If you think it reasonable for your preferences to be served, it should
be just as reasonable for my preferences to be served too.  Note that
they pretty much annihilate one another, which suggests that you might
want to think further about how preferences should be recognized to
generate "Action Plans."
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/emacs.html