Addition of HBCI support

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 09:58:39 +0200

Just a quick remark --

Josh Sled wrote:

> 2. HCBI is a sepereately-released "add-on" module for GnuCash, using
>    the new module system... though I don't know if this is really feasible.
>    Given that it'd basically be an import/export feature, it seems like
>    a prime candidate for such a thing.

HBCI support requires more than an import/export feature. Contrary to
QIF, HBCI not a file format but a *protocol*. Basically with HBCI I have
a protocol on top of TCP/IP which I can use to connect to a bank and
perform actions on accounts. I.e., HBCI defines enough
authorization/encryption such that I can initiate money transfers and
get my account statements, maybe even perform stock trades.

I haven't yet evaluated which of those possibilities should be supported
  by Gnucash. I just wanted to mention that HBCI support will definitely
be more than import/export of our existing data.

Christian