Gnucash Foundation [was: Re: Nothing works on Red Hat ]

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
04 Dec 2002 21:52:20 -0800

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 19:43, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:02:16PM -0500, gnucash@cbbrowne.com was heard to remark:
> > Linas wrote:
> > > There is no gnucash 'tip-jar', and there is no particular reason
> > > why there isn't one.  Maybe its time one was set up.
> > >
> > > 3) Where should the money be collected?  Paypal seems obvious and
> > >    popular. But I've also heard horror stories ...
> >

> > that would be characterized as the "tuck $20 in with a Christmas card"
> > approach.
>
> I like this idea.   It does solve a lot of problems (like
> administering the damn thing).
>
> -- I could put the street addresses of everyone with cvs access and
>    a few other nominees up on a gnucash web page.  Is there anyone
>    in this group who would *not* want thier street address listed?
>
> If you don't want your street address listed, but do want to receive
> chriostmas cards, then how do we resolve the privacy/disclosure
> problem inherent in this?   Make the patron jump through a few
> email/web hoops (e.g. registration ) to get the address?

I do have a real problem with giving out my street address, esp with no
real privacy safeguards in place. I also dont much like the paypal idea,
tho I grant that used just as a money transfer device (ie not keep any
money in a paypal account) it is useful. I would much prefer that the
contact be email address based;
1)send email to jack@gnucash.org <- has a gnucash.org email as he's
recognised by 3 other devels on gnucash as a good guy :)
2)email says hey, I like the work you're doing and want to send you a
gift, what's the best way to do this?
3)jack sends back 'that's nice of you, I prefer it to be sent to
paypal/billpay/moneygram whatever and gives details.

This avoids a whole address/privacy issue and only relies on email
addresses, seems like it'd work better to me.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit