Request for delaying stable release: Multi-currency code still not mature enough

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
29 Dec 2002 15:31:49 -0800

One last thing, which is relatively minor but I would like some input
from you all on, is it was suggested to me last night to drop the
internal GnuCash help browser in favor of using whatever GNOME standard
defined one is available. I don't have a problem with this (in fact I
believe we eventually should do this, just wasn't considering it for
this release). I've discovered several shortcoming's with the present
help browser which I've prevailed on David to fix up, but still run into
problems. The way I've setup the docs module now this wouldn't have a
major impact on the docs, but it would change several things in GnuCash
itself;
1) No search functionality - We could use possibly an internal search
function to find pages, but it would require what I regard as to much
effort for little gain.
2) Removal of indexing - the present scheme based indexing would now be
handled by the external help browser
3) Change of help button functions - this is probably the most major
thing, changing the help functions internally to use the standard gnome
functions to launch help and the help menu items to do the same.

Some advantages to doing this are;
1) Less code to fix/maintain - its handled by the larger GNOME project
2) Ability to launch/read the help independently of GnuCash
3) Future improvements to the GNOME help system automatically usable by
GnuCash

I have already made the help docs be registered and usable by GNOME2.
With the discussion on delaying the release I feel more comfortable
about suggesting this now.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit