Changing mailing list subscription policy

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
19 Sep 2002 00:46:41 +1000

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 23:56, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been thinking about changing the gnucash-user mailing-list
> posting policy from "subscribers-only" to "anyone".   Anyone
> care to express an opinion?

a) The lists use mailman, so its hardly difficult to subscribe.
b) The user list does not appear to be particularly significant volume.
c) Our user support really relies on users helping each other - the
currently active developers and the old hands have of late all been too
busy to be providing much help. A compulsory subscription policy makes
it more likely people will stay on the list after their immediate
question is posted and are therefore far more likely to offer help to
others than if they could just post to a list and wait for an answer to
arrive.

I think we're going to have many many less dissatisfied users if they
are required to make that little extra effort of subscribing, compared
to the approach of "post a request for help to this list and feel
abandoned when no-one responds". At least if they're subscribed to the
list, they'll realise that the response rate is (at times) not all that
high.

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)