Gnucash 1.8.2 first impressions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 9 00:08:48 CDT 2003

Boris Goldowsky <boris at alum.mit.edu> writes:

> On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 11:14  AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > Pricedb entries are never created by anything except the Transfer
> > Dialog, Manual Entry in the Price Editor, and pulling quotes off the
> > net.  I'm not convinced that the QIF importer (or any importer) should
> > actually add items to the pricedb -- but I could be convinced.
>
> This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for some time.
> Is there any particular reason that the price at which you've entered
> a "buy" or "sell" for a security shouldn't be entered into the price
> db?  I'm not talking about imported transactions so much as the ones I
> enter manually - having to enter the price in two separate places
> always seems odd.

Honestly, that's a good question, and one that I've wondered myself.
Right now it depends on how you actually enter the transaction.  If
you wind up using the Transfer Dialog (either via C-T on the
top-level, or in order to enter an "exchange rate" from the register)
then the price _IS_ entered in the pricedb.  OTOH, if you enter the
price directly into a stock/mutual-fund/currency register, the price
is NOT entered into the pricedb.

I don't know why....  The arguments that I've heard are that the
pricedb is meant to store prices obtained off the net, not buy/sell
prices.  Indeed, the buy/sell price is directly computable from the
transaction, so why store it elsewhere?

-derek