Gnucash 1.8.2 first impressions

Herbert Thoma tma at iis.fhg.de
Wed Apr 9 19:45:18 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins schrieb:

> Herbert Thoma <tma at iis.fhg.de> writes:
>
> > So why get the prices from the transfer dialog in? I see no difference
> > between a price from the transfer dialog and a price from a
> > stock/mutual-fund/currency register ...
>
> Well, it got added when I started using the transfer dialog to enter
> exchange rates...  People were asking about entering multiple,
> multi-currency transactions and wanted gnucash to "help out"...  So
> that's why it got added there.

Back in the 1.6 times is used the transfer dialog for DEM-EUR transfers
because it handled the intermediate currency account automatically
(I coded this functionality ...), but since 1.8 I allmost never use
it any more because the currency account is no longer needed and I can
enter the transactions directly in the register.

> > It may well be that you don't get prices from the net and then you
> > would be happy with at least the prices from the transactions.
> > (Remember: The reports only use prices from the pricedb.)
>
> Remember that reports can be changed to use different price sources,
> and some of them default to using a weighted average instead of using
> the pricedb.. ;)

I don't know what weighted average really does right now and I don't
use it often. Usually I have price source set to "nearest in time" or
"latest". These two use the pricedb ...

 Herbert.

> >  Herbert.
>
> -derek
>
> --

Herbert Thoma
FhG-IIS A, Studio Department
Am Wolfsmantel 33, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Phone: +49-9131-776-323
Fax:   +49-9131-776-399
email: tma at iis.fhg.de
www: http://www.iis.fhg.de/