Gnucash 1.8.2 first impressions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 9 14:28:33 CDT 2003

Herbert Thoma <tma at iis.fhg.de> writes:

> Back in the 1.6 times is used the transfer dialog for DEM-EUR transfers
> because it handled the intermediate currency account automatically
> (I coded this functionality ...), but since 1.8 I allmost never use
> it any more because the currency account is no longer needed and I can
> enter the transactions directly in the register.

Yes, but you're using the dialog (indirectly) to enter the exchange rate.

> > > It may well be that you don't get prices from the net and then you
> > > would be happy with at least the prices from the transactions.
> > > (Remember: The reports only use prices from the pricedb.)
> >
> > Remember that reports can be changed to use different price sources,
> > and some of them default to using a weighted average instead of using
> > the pricedb.. ;)
>
> I don't know what weighted average really does right now and I don't
> use it often. Usually I have price source set to "nearest in time" or
> "latest". These two use the pricedb ...

Indeed, they do.

I'm not arguing against this change.  I'm just pointing out arguments
made in the past.  I agree that adding more info into the pricedb is
probably a good thing -- the only issue is making sure the pricedb
doesn't grow without bounds.