Web page proposal

Jeff MacDonald jam at zoidtechnologies.com
Sat Aug 9 11:44:46 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 09:27, Jon Lapham wrote:
> Yeah, the word [other] is clearly not ideal.  [Extra] maybe?
> [Additional],  [More...], [All]?

agreed.. how about "more..."

> The problem with an [external guides] link is that if we go down that
> road, why not also have a [older docs], and [development docs], and etc,
> etc.  Would these all lead to the same page?  We wouldn't want separate
> web pages for each (no!).

nah, not seperate pages, just one page that links to the table of
contents for each thing. nothing wrong with having clear labels for
things, and putting often used or asked about links on the front page so
newbies can find it.

> Documentation In Development
>   [GnuCash v1.10 "in devel" docs]
>

> >>Disadvantages:
> >>
> >>1) Two clicks to get to documentation other than the current User Guide
> >>and Help Manual.
> >
> > as long as it is less than four, IMHO you are fine.
> >
> > as an example, check out <http://python.org/doc/>.. they have a very
> > clean interface IMHO.
>
> Sure, but that page is not the python main page.  This page would be
> equivalent to the page that appears when you click on the (misnamed)
> [other] link.  But, you probably already know that.  :)  So, yeah, looks
> good.

right, so what you want to modify isn't the gnucash main page either :)
on the python main page (actually, in the header of all pages) they have
a link that says "Documentation".

> On the python main page they have a what appears to be 3 docs links:
> "Documentation", "Beginners Guide" and "Topics Guide".  I actually like
> the GnuCash.org main page layout better, the python page seems kinda
> busy to me.  Maybe it is just the colors.

ya, it's the colors :).. it's not all that busy, everything is labelled,
and you can easily find stuff in just a few clicks... that's what I was
pointing out. I like the idea of seeing often referenced documents
(Beginners Guide in particular) as a seperate link, so newbies can find
it.

obviously gnucash doesn't have the same types of documentation, so you
can't just copy it word-for-word or something, but it's not all *that*
far off.

how about:

- current documentation [online] [download tarball]
 . other languages: [de] [fr] [etc]
- howtos: [bar]
- tutorials: [foo]
- archived documentation: [baz] [bing]

obviously until there are howtos and tutorials, you don't have to list
them as links... and I think technically a 'guide' could be considered a
'howto', so you can use 'guide' instead of the other choice in that
case.

I respectfully disagree with use of "in development".. we *know* it's in
development, and newbies might think that if it's in development it is
somehow unstable or that they should look for 'better' documentation
instead. just be careful about wording :)

regards,