Translators web page

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed Aug 27 14:35:00 CDT 2003

Jon Lapham schrieb:
> Christian Stimming wrote:
>
>> Please, if you want to have some simple .pot and .po download, by all
>> means use the Translation Project. This is precisely what they are
>> for. We should not try to duplicate their effort in any way.
>

> Christian-
>
> I'm so confused!  Do we go with the Translation Project (TP) or not?  If
> so, we should say so and be 100% comitted to it.
>
> I would hate for someone to download the pt_BR.po from the TP... they
> would have a *lot* of work ahead of them, for nothing.

Oh, yes, sorry. I misunderstood the way the Translation Project works.
When I submit updated pot template files, I send them the URL to the
whole gnucash package -- and I *though* they also extract the updated po
files. However, as you correctly point out, this is not the case.

I just tried to minimize our own required work. The pot template file
can surely be downloaded from the TP. Some translations are handled
through the TP, others are not. We could probably notify the TP
maintainer about those that are not handled through TP, so that they are
marked "external" there (as it is already the case for German/de).

Apart from that, I think making the po files available for direct
download is not really a good idea. Many translations only make sense if
the translator has the source code context anyway. So I would rather
assume that any serious translation work needs the whole source code
package anyway.

Christian